NPR recently ran a great little report titled: Selling Kids On Veggies When Rules Like ‘Clean Your Plate’ Fail.
– Threats like “clean your plate” and “no second helpings of potatoes” don’t work on kids
– Why? When you demand children eat vegetables before they have a dessert, it makes it seem like there’s something wrong with eating vegetables
– Creative negotiation is a better option
– Tips include:
1. On a “Try It Tuesday”, parents, along with their children, pick out a new food to sample
2. Involve the kids in preparing meals
3. Try “no-thank-you bites” where the child just has to try one bite. If she doesn’t like it, she can say “no thank you” to more